Wednesday 21 January 2009

Back in Delhi

The last night in Varanasi was awful, since I couldn't digest my dinner... The big mistake was to have a fresh orange juice after my meal, and on top of it I think one of the oranges was over ripe! I should have trusted my taste buds... Since I was only leaving Varanasi in the evening, and I had to check out by noon, I accepted to be taken around the place by Raju, a local tradesman helper. He showed me the Durga Temple, where I was blessed after buying an offering and paying the holy man... Then we went to the mugal area, where muslims run a silk dyeing and hand weaving industry. They still use thouse ancient looms and work in very dark rooms. Obviously the visit ended in a "show room", where I was offered some chai in an earthen cup, that is not washed to be used again, but just thrown away! Then loads and loads os scarfs, sarees and other precious clothes were spread out before my eyes. I was sitting on this cushioned floor, as is habitual in these cloth shops. The atmosphere reminds one of what might be associated to a beduin tent. Once again I couldn't help myself and bought a number of silk scarfs that I intend to distribute amongst a few of you readers...
The train ride was very smooth. I was tired anyway, so I fell asleep as soon as it began to roll, and that was not later than 7.30 pm! Approximately 12 hours later I woke up in Delhi. I was picked up at the station, where I stood waiting at the wrong side...and had to be set on track via mobile... and surprise, surprise: Yogesh was again my driver. He took me to my new hotel, where I just had a rest and caught up on the swearing in of Obama, who in a way inspires hope in me too.
After my rest I went out to town for a bite. I looked up the Coffee Home, a very local and bargain restaurant I had discovered on my first stay here. Then I took a motor rikshaw to Lhoden Gardens, a really beatiful and peaceful spot in this town. There I rested a bit more, and almost fell asleep lyind on the edge of a little stream or pond.
Soon I shall return to the hotel. Tomorrow morning I have to wake up very early to go and pick up Alice and Gracinha (who I haven't met yet) at the airport. At midnight Fernanda (who I also do not know yet) will join us. So we will be four ladies in Delhi! After 2 full days we shall be off to the Rajastan. Our route has undergone a few changes, so at this moment I don't know if our first destination will be Jaipur or Nawalgarh. Oh well, does it really matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment